Billions of dollars each year are pulled in by major cosmetic companies and the majority of these products aren’t tested.
In actual fact, they may be one of the most harmful things you can use on your body, not to mention the cacophony of chemicals but also, many makeups are full of cancer-causing heavy metals.
Do you have any idea of what’s in your makeup?
Most personal care products don’t undergo any sort of regular testing, and is only loosely regulated – in fact, if you check, you’ll note that most don’t even include a list of ingredients.
Chemicals don’t have to be ingested to be dangerous. Sometimes, they are absorbed through your skin which can prove to be worse. It’s a nasty cocktail you might be subjecting yourself to every time you apply makeup.
As the Canada-based Environmental Defense group noted when they tested 49 different makeup items in a report titled “Heavy Metal Hazard: The Health Risks of Hidden Heavy Metals In Face Makeup” the heavy metals present in lots of widely available commercial makeups is truly astonishing.
Researchers studied many major cosmetic brands and found serious heavy metal contamination in virtually all of the products; 96% contained lead, 90% contained beryllium, and 61% contained thallium. An additional 51% contained cadmium, while 20% contained arsenic.
Those are not things you want to be absorbing through your skin.
Cadmiun, for instance, is a known carcinogenic material, and any of these heavy metals, when absorbed regularly, can cause long-term heath effects to develop over time. With consistent use, they may increase your risk of cancer, reproductive disorders, and many other health issues.
In particular, be aware of these eighteen most dangerous makeups:
1. Maybelline Color Sensational (#125 Pink Petal)
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche (#410 Volcanic)
3. NARS Semi-Matte (#1005 Red Lizard)
4. CoverGirl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues (#580 Ruby Remix)
5. NARS Semi-Matte (#1009 Funny Face)
6. L’Oreal Colour Riche (#165 Tickled Pink)
7. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor (#748 Heroic)
8. CoverGirl Continuous Color (#025 Warm Brick)
9. Maybelline Color Sensation (#475 Mauve Me)
10. Stargazer Lipstick (#103c)
11. Revlon Matte (#009 Fabulous Fig)
12. Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color (#27 Mauvey)
13. Avon Beyond Color (#558 Mad for Mauve)
14. L’Oreal Endless (#530 Mauve Amour)
15. Revlon ColorStay (#375 Ripened Red)
16. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer (Toffee)
17. Revlon Super Lustrous Peal (#631 Luminous Pink)
18. Revlon Super Lustrous Peal (#643 Satin Plum)
Instead, consider safer alternatives – or learn to make your own natural makeups!
Check out the video below for some lead-free lipstick ideas: